Friday, October 24, 2008

FAQ: What are Jews for Jesus?


Question: I've seen an organization called Jews for Jesus on street corners, and I've been curious but reluctant to stop and ask. What is it? I enjoy your blog, by the way. Sincerely, Carrie

Answer: Carrie, thank you for your question! I never stop either, but my husband, who likes to argue, will hang out with them if he's in the mood for a good harangue.
Although the group says that it encourages its members to observe Jewish tradition, it is actually an evangelical Christian group dedicated to converting Jews. It is certainly not recognized as Jewish by either Reform, Conservative, or Orthodox Jews. It was begun in the 1970's by a Baptist minister named Rosen who was Jewish by birth but converted to Christianity when he was 17.

No comments: